2011 has been an interesting year. I’ve had a few “downs”, but it’s been mostly “ups” all year. Despite the moments of adversity I faced (most of which very few people are aware), I’ve made it to the end. I’m thankful for the good times and the bad.
Mostly the good times, obviously.
This year I
Expanded my baking repertoire: In the past I enjoyed baking sugar cookies & chocolate chip cookies from scratch. This year, I tried new scratch recipes. Cinnamon rolls, cake, biscuits, doughnuts, and much more.
Became a regular: When the bartender puts your name on a receipt, you know you’re probably there too much.
Played nicer with boys: Last year, I vowed to at least give more fellows the time of day. I’m notoriously evil when it comes to men hitting on me.
Enjoyed music: I tried to come up with a top 10, but I ended up with eight. Not to say this is an absolute list, but they’re the first ones that came to mind. In no particular order…
- Korn ft. Skrillex, “Get Up”: Rock with a bit of electronica. The mix is awesome.
- Lady Gaga, “Born This Way”: I still turn up the radio & belt this one out when it plays. I’ll admit it.
- New Boyz ft. Dev & The Cataracts, “Backseat”: I love the beat of this song. Makes me want to dance, even if I’m in the car. It has a similar vibe to Far East Movement’s “Like a G6”, but I haven’t tired of “Backseat” yet.
- Jay-Z & Kanye West, “…in Paris”: The lyrics are pretty sweet. I like to live vicariously through them…wishing I balled so hard.
- The Beastie Boys, “Make Some Noise”: Another one I dance to in the car. The full-length video featuring a bit of the song is worth a watch, if only for the cameos. Make some noise if ya with mehhhhh…!
- Black Eyed Peas, “Just Can’t Get Enough”: I liked this one because it featured a less vocally aggressive Fergie. It’s a pleasant tune with a hint of typical BEP.
- The Black Keys, “Howlin’ for You”: It has the kind of sound you don’t hear much in modern music–actual instruments. I don’t know about you all, but it’s hard to get this one out of my head. And that’s a good thing.
- Five Finger Death Punch, “Under and Over It”: I like a good screaming song every so often. I’ve yet to hear a 5FDP song I don’t like.
Enjoyed life: My general philosophy is if you woke up to live another day, be grateful. I hate people who spend day after day complaining about stuff. If you can change it, change it. If you can’t, learn to deal with it.
Did not commit to a GOP presidential candidate: I only have a few weeks to do so. I’ve been quite unimpressed with the field. Perhaps more accurately, I’ve been a bit peeved with the candidates’ supporters. Hard to sift through the “You’re an idiot for supporting X” nonsense to find qualities worth supporting.
Became more vocal about things I wanted: This actually came about more so in the second half of the year. It’s served me well so far and I intend to continue laying my thoughts and wants in the open more.
Wrote a rambling year end blog post: And now it’s over.